I often find myself thinking “if I just got up earlier I could…” and that thought has inspired the following lists.
Things I Could Do If I Got Up Earlier
- Work out. I love to work out. I honestly do. It makes me feel good both physically and mentally. I used to do it at least three times a week. Now I’m lucky if I get in one. This makes me feel both physically and mentally sad.
- Read. Right now I read for the approximately 48 minutes a week that I am on the subway. However, I am starting a new project which will be done from home and that eliminates my reading time. Boo. How am I going to finish Storm of Swords in time for the new season of Game of Thrones?
- Write on my blog. This is a big one. I know I don’t have many readers. But I appreciate each and every one of you very much and I like to write things. I have ideas for posts that are entertaining or emotional or funny and I want to get them out of my head and onto the internets. But I just don’t have the time.
Things I Could Do If I Got Up Earlier, But Still Would Not Do
- Creative Elf on the Shelf gags for the kids. You will not find Protocol swimming in marshmallows or watching tv or making effing flour angels on my kitchen counter.
- Make artistically beautiful, healthy lunches for Brady. While in theory I would like to get a bento box and make him a Power Ranger that he wouldn’t be able to resist eating out of radishes and spinach and hard-boiled eggs, this will never happen, even if I get up at 4am.
- Make clothing, craft decorations for my apartment, make scrapbooks, or anything else of the sort. Again, these are things that I imagine myself liking to do, but do not actually enjoy doing.
Things I Could NOT Do if I Got Up Earlier
- Stay awake until bedtime.
- Keep myself from screeching at my kids when they get out of line. This is difficult if I do get enough sleep.
- Be a good partner to my husband. I tend to get very resentful, jealous, and bitter when I’m tired.
- Maintain my sanity.
Obviously the first list would be great, but I think that avoiding the third list is more important in my life right now. Maybe one day when both of my children sleep until 7:30 all on their own and don’t need me in the middle of the night, I can get up a bit earlier and accomplish some of these things. For now, I think I’ll hit snooze and get done what I can.