Flipflops, mulch, and the ER

Sprinklers are fun!

Sprinklers are fun!

On Friday afternoon we took advantage of the few hours of sunshine that we got and headed over to the sprinklers in the playground. Brady had an awesome time and the husband left work a little early and came over to meet us.

As we were walking home my foot tipped over the edge of the area around a little tree, sliding off my flipflop, and into the mulch. A piece of the wood stabbed the bottom of my heel and, as the husband says, I “went down like a sniper took me out from the rooftops.” I’ll admit that I was a little dramatic – but it hurt! I pulled the piece of wood from my foot, limped home, and cleaned it out. Oh and the best part – as I sat on the sidewalk yelling at my husband that I actually was hurt, my son was crying “mommy, shoes, shoes, shooooooes!!!”. Apparently it was NOT right that my shoes should be off outside like that.

Now, this wasn’t just any weekend, this was the first time that the husband and I were going to have a night alone in 19 months. Brady was off to his Nonna and Nonno’s house for Saturday night. We were so excited to be able to go out and meet up with friends and not worry about getting home. But as we went about the day on Saturday my foot hurt more…and more…and (despite bloody mary treatment) more.

It was looking not so great – red and swollen. It was deep and I couldn’t tell if I had gotten everything out of it. I could barely walk at all. So off we went to the ER. Super fun. Luckily they saw me very quickly. The doc came in and took a look and then went out to grab the syringe of Lidocaine. I warned him that I have a bad reaction to Lidocaine, and although he didn’t believe me. I did have a bad reaction. I got hot and flushed and sick. I made it through and he cleaned up the wound, but the last shot of Lidocaine did me in. I tried to breathe through it, but I couldn’t take it and I had to puke. Probably the worst part of the whole thing.

Foot wounds are NOT fun!

Foot wounds are NOT fun!

We got out of there, went home, showered and went out anyway. I think we did a great job of salvaging the evening. We couldn’t meet up with friends like we had planned but we had a nice, late, leisurely dinner at Jacques, down the block and shared a delicious bottle of wine. If you want good  moules frites, Jacques is the place. They are awesome.

We slept in until 9 the next day…a real treat. My foot was feeling much, much better. And we were super excited to see our little pickle again! He had a great time with his grandparents and slept fairly well. Which makes us feel like we might be able to do it again sometime! Minus the trip to the ER of course.


3 responses

  1. Next time tell them you are allergic to the anesthetic. That’s the only way they will listen! And yes, I’m sure there will be a next time 🙂 I’m trying to convince Jeremy we need a night out for our anniversary but he claims he can’t leave Cameron yet. Sure, sure…

  2. It is feeling much, much better now.

    Oh and unfortunately I only take the Lidocaine when I know I’ll need it. Like when they were putting in my epidural and on this occasion. I’d rather puke and NOT be able to feel them rooting around in my foot.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s