Today was a doozy of a day. It started with it becoming arctic cold overnight, which I guess happened in most of the Northern Hemisphere since I kept reading that there were freezing temperatures in all 50 states. Here are some of the bad/annoying/irritating things that happened today:
- Declan’s slight, morning head-stuffiness morphed into an actual cold, no lie, en route to the allergist.
- We were sent home by the allergist with no food challenge and a hope of a cancellation in the near future.
- Despite not having the food challenge I still went all the way to the West Side in the freezing cold and spent $30 on cabs.
- Declan’s actual cold became a terrible cold.
- TWO people walked right past me in the line at the grocery store as if I wasn’t there waiting too! (Cutting in line is my #1 pet peeve.)
- My two pairs of warm boots arrived from Zappos and NEITHER fit me and it promises to be just as cold again tomorrow.
- I had to drag my children into the cold and dark to volunteer for the last CSA shift to make my volunteer quota for the season.
- Declan created this masterpiece on the wall in the hallway.
- I got my period. (Sorry for the TMI, but seriously, it’s the day that just won’t stop giving.)
But, all day my yogi-self kept telling me to step back and take a breath, to look at what was happening and see the positive. So, because of that, and because looking at the list above I seriously look like a whiny baby, I will oblige my yogi-self and see the positives. So here are some of the good/nice/not annoying things that happened today:
- Declan and I stopped at the bookstore and it was story time and he LOVED it! That kids loves songs with hand gestures and being read stories.
- Since Declan didn’t feel good he snuggled me all day. (I didn’t mind the snot that came with it too much.)
- I somehow got in some freelance work.
- Zappos has free shipping and returns.
- The other lovely people who were volunteering saw that I had my kids with me and that it was cold and let me sign in and go home! Yay for nice people! I did do a little restocking of veggies for good measure while we were there.
- Magic Eraser removes pencil on a wall like, well, magic.
- Declan fell immediately asleep and I got to snuggle with Brady a little. He told me about the stories he makes up while he’s falling asleep and it was incredible! It involves him making a legendary basketball shot, being sent to a special middle school in California to play basketball, coming back to New York for high school and leaving basketball to play football and perfecting the “rocket throw.” How cool is this kid?
How’s that for balance? I’m working on it. I really am.